C-PACE provides 100% upfront, fixed rate, long-term financing to property owners for qualified energy upgrades. Game-changing benefits for owners are:
- C-PACE assessments may qualify as an operating expense. This means owners can finance improvements without incurring additional debt and preserve capital and credit lines for core business investments. Also, under typical leases, payments – as well as energy savings – can be passed along to tenants.
- The tax obligation (which is attached to the property) transfers upon sale to the new owner. Unlike other lending options, payments do not accelerate in case of default.
- The C-PACE program requires projects to be cash flow-positive from project completion. Financing is structured so that energy savings must more than offset the additional property tax assessment.
- Deeper energy upgrades are possible because the term of the assessment is up to 20 years and stays with the property rather than the owner.
- Owners achieve lower operating costs due to increased energy efficiency, improved asset value from new equipment, and a better indoor air quality and comfort for tenants.